In December 1896, Adlof Kind and Luciano Roiti used, on Balme snowfields, the “ski”, curious wooden skates in use in North European countries, and reached Pian della Mussa. Later on both alpine ski and cross country skiing developed: it was the modern ski mountaineering.
Starting from late winter and during the whole spring the chain of mountain above Balme offers daily trips and raids in altitude. These itineraries are second to none and altitudes that may be reach vary from 3000 to 3676 m. Different types of grounds, from open slopes to walls and gullies, so as to please even the more demanding skiers. Particularly in spring, starting from the end of March when the mountain huts open in altitude, it is possible to take an over-the-border raid as the district is on the borderline with French Haute Maurienne.
- Cima Chiavesso ( 2823) through Colle del Vallonetto
- Punta Golai (2818)
- Cima Ortetti (2961)
- Cima Autour ( 3022)
- Passo delle Mangioire (2765)
- Punta Rossa di Sea (2910)
- Ghicet di Sea (2745)
- Colle Battaglia (2480)
Bessanese – Ciamarella raid:
- Climbing to Rifugio Gastaldi through the Canale d’Arnas
- Crossing from Rifugio Gastaldi to Refuge d’Averole through Col d’Arnas and climb to Punta Maria (3315)
- Climbing to Punta d’Arnas, Ouille Arberon in France (3554)
- Crossing from Refuge d’Averole to Refuge des Evettes through the Glacier de Grand Fond and Albaron di Savoia (3637)
- Crossing from Refuge d’Averole to Rifugio Gastaldi through Glacier de Grand Fond and Albaron di Savoia (3637)
- Climbing to Pointe du Gran Mean (3214)
- Crossing from Refuge des Evettes to Rifugio Gastaldi:
- through Passo di Chalanson Superiore (3350)
- through Piccola Ciamarella (3549)
- Climbing to Ciamarella (3676) and descent through Canale delle Capre to Pian della Mussa (1850) or Balme (1500).
Les Montagnards is:
- Starting point for daily trips
- Support base for the Bessanese – Ciamarella raid: after the approaching trip, a good night rest is necessary to face next morning climb to Rifugio Gastaldi.